27 November 2006

how can you work if you can't speak?

Ahem, this line dauntingly remind me of hearing teachers' most favourite line.. who asked me that? Not hearing teacher, nor strong deaf oral user, nor elderly person, nor Mary Hare teacher, nor JKF.. It was an innocent Deaf Cubs scout girl who uses strong SSE and oral user.

Last Friday, as a Cubs Scout leader, I told all Cubs Scout to get juice drink after some games, she come up to me, curiously asked me 'Have you a job?' I said no, as I am still looking for a job at the moment. Frankly, I thought her reaction to my answering that she wished I got a job. Actually she again asked me 'How can you work if you can't speak?' Which made me very angry un-visally because she only sees Deaf BSL users as unemployed (at the moment, I am really!). I explained to her that I have done alot of interesting jobs that hearing people can't do. That's shame because somebody (could be her hearing teachers) could wrongly indoctrinate her that oral is best communication mode. It is like blackmail, hearing teacher would say 'If you can speak well, you will get a job anyplace' it unfairly make Deaf children see British Sign language as negative thing. Now look at so many British adult SSE/oral users are ignorant toward Deaf community/culture in case they might be not better person.

I wonder if now there could be alot of young oral users ask like her... would be very alarming. There should be provision of more Deaf role model with weathly knowledge of Deaf community/culture.

give Deaf power to Deaf children

No comments: