26 February 2007

best breath blog!

'Can you lipread? Yes but'

Kalalau's Korner:
Last Thursday I had an honor to accompany Frank Parker who is the (hard-of-hearing) headmaster of Horizons Academy of Maui to a reception in honor of a new school principal, Ms. LeeAnn DeLima, at Kamehameha School Maui. It was a great Hawai’ian celebration, and numerous influential people came to this ceremony.

While waiting in the line to congratulate Ms. DeLima, we had some small talks with people around us. Right behind us was a lady by the name of Ms. BJ Alexander, who is the CEO of Kamehameha Schools in all Hawai’i. She was very sociable and friendly. Upon discovering that I am Deaf, she quickly asked if I could read lips. I answered yes but explained that it would be a lot of work and that I would miss a lot of it. She would have to speak to me very slowly. I told her I use American Sign Language. She was very impressed and we talked a little bit about teaching the language and culture of the Deaf and Deaf Education in general.

When it was our turn to meet and congratulate Ms. DeLima, I got very excited. Frank Parker introduced me to her, using as much ASL as he could. I could sense how impressed she was because she offered me a kiss. I became flippant.


Comments

Jay Croft said...
When hearing people ask me, "Can you read lips," I often respond, "Not too well. Can you?"


Epeachy News said...
Jay,I like your comment - (can you?)I'll try to remember that when hearing people ask me near in the future.


DeafLinux said...
And in addition, tell them with the "lights on or off?" That will make them think.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Plus I like his other blog... Philosophy and Deaf children

No comments: