06 February 2007

Playing their blind card

12, and Looking after the Family. In the UK, children as young as eight are often asked to act as grown-ups, taking care of relatives who are unable to look after themselves. Channel 4 at 21:00 on Monday 5th February 2007

I think both mother and father are so lazy. They had an excuse for being blind because they can't look after their own children properly. They decided to have more children is fine with me, their decision. BUT they can't expect two of their older children to look younger children all!

I think those parent are playing their blind card. Maybe they were not raised up to be enough independent and deal with their blindness.

In my view, social workers wouldn't need to take their children but their parent had to go to parent skill training for the blind if there are one.

This programme (narrotor) said they can't work just because of their 'disabilitiy'. Helen Keller who was Deaf-blind and fluent ASL, worked and supported within Deaf-blind community, showing that she was hard working and determined comparing to those lazy parent!

I understand the father has been through his tough childhood (his late father used him as a punchbag) but its no excuse. If he easily can pour his can of lager in a glass, so he can fed a milk bottle then.

Im really worried about this young girl who is suicudal and very unhappy. She is supposed to be 18 but she is really 10! That's so unfair!

I think this programme should show 2 blind parents, one with well-moral and other with less morals. Showing 2 examples of blind parents, would be good awareness for all audience otherwise its misunderstoodable. Im sure there are different of blind societies such as Deafhood.


Interesting message from a Blind mum: RNIB

I am a blind mum, but my daughter isn't really old enough for me to haveexperienced the situations you are talking about, she will be four next week. I know a lot of blind parents are unwilling to rely on their child's sight to help them out, they feel it's not fair on the child. I do, to some extent, agree with this, but when my daughter showed such an interest in what was in all the tins and packages we bought from the supermarket, how could I quell her enthusiasm?!! So, she is very helpful with identifying products I can't tell by touch, I.E. what's in tins!

Hope that helps.
Paula xx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helen Keller did NOT know ASL or any other signed language.

Anonymous said...

It's known deaf people use their children as interpreters all the time too ! The program did show us two very poor parents, who didn't show much skill at that, they also went on they wanted more kids too. There should have been more balance of course, being a blind parent is no different from being one that can see.

I hope SS went in and sorted them out. Those kids were in a awful state, and the parents didn't appear a bit concerned. I think it raised questions on the support side of many disabled people, are they 'looking good' to outsiders, because the families are doing all the support ? giving the appearance they 'manange' quite well 'alone', when they clearly don't. It's child cruelty lets face it, blind or not.

Ashton Jean-Pierre said...

"In 1890 Keller was taught to speak by Sarah Fuller of the Horace Mann School. Eventually Keller learned to use sign language, to read braille, to type - and to dance and ride on horseback." http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/hkeller.htm

"Anne was strict, but she had a lot of energy. In just a few days, she taught Helen how to spell words with her hands (called the manual alphabet, which is part of the sign language that deaf people use.) The trouble was, Helen didn't understand what the words meant—until one morning at the water pump (like an outdoor water fountain) she got a whole new attitude." http://www.afb.org/braillebug/helen_keller_bio.asp

Anonymous said...

"It's known deaf people use their children as interpreters all the time too"

Incorrect - just as with blinds, some parents use their kids, some don't.

My wife and I am deaf, and have two kids. However we both absolutely refuse to use them to interpret for us. In public sometime when one speaks to us and we don't understand, we never turn to the kids.

Sometime they might attempt to speak to us via the kids, but I ask them to not do that. Instead...I just ask them to write it down.

This way my kids see I keep my independence and respect us for it. They are aged 8 and 3 by the way.

Don't assume that all Deaf parents use their kids to interpret "all the time". Some do. Some don't, like me.

Ashton Jean-Pierre said...

See, see!