21 February 2007

If I was still hearing

I asked my Mum that what she would choose education for me if I was still hearing (I became Deaf at 18 months old). She would choose local private school! I rather would go there than Mary Hare as Deaf pupil!

I don't know if I could be good or bad because I would be hearing black man, depend on varies of black communities. For white's perspective (more like stereotype), I could be drug dealer just because I am hearing black!

I could make fun of sign language on Deaf community or even I could be oral teacher! Arrrgh!

Of course, I am sure my Mum would raise me as same Ashton as I am now. Actually, she was fascinating with BSL before I born. She seen many BSL users (children and adults) at the hospital, even oral and CI. I am very glad that my Mum's decision was right to choose BSL for me AS my first language. I was so lucky!

Thankfully, my Deaf identity fulfil my life and it helps my determination. I do alot of things with my identity, like voluntary work within Deaf community in Guyana, South America. Many Deaf Guyanese's lives are improved by new Deaf clubs, Deaf awareness, GSL classes enhance to building interaction and communication of Deaf community and hearing community better.

I still can't imagine being hearing because my life is still brilliant!

No comments: